Me, Myself and I

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Mid-Winter Arches

Sunshine. Warmth. Tents. Camping. Laughter. Snacks. Friends. and last but not least,
ARCHES.
This is what made my "mid-winter break." Thursday was spent debating whether or not we should still go, where we would sleep and all other preparations. Kaya and I kept playing phone tag while we got everything set to go. FINALLY we decided to just mountain man it and bring along everything that seemed important. Our final five who ended up coming was: Serah, Kay Kay, Kendra Rose and Coka Kota. And me. After picking everyone up and grabbing the necessities (aka FOOD), we started south on I-15. Unfortunately, this was the longer route to get to the Arches National Park. We drove and drove and drove until around 9pm we arrived at a campsite that Coka Kota's Mother dearest had set up for us. (For this, I was very grateful!) We pulled up at our campsite... and it was practically already set up! There was a picnic table, stovish thingy and a large covering over the camp grounds. I thought it was perfect for there was even indoor bathrooms!! :) :) We played games inside the tent and talked until everyone was almost asleep. All of us girls were inside one tent, while Coka Kota was put inside his own. It was a lot of fun except for one thing. COLD. It was super duper chilly during the night! I only had 2-3hours of uncomfortable sleep before I had to get up to race into the warm bathrooms. You have no idea how glad I was for those potties.
Once everyone was awake, we nibbled on cold bagels and drank water before heading to Moab. We all wandered the streets of the main before realizing that all shops were closed until  10ish or so. Around this time was when Kota got a phone call from his Mother that informed him of the Japanese earthquake that had happened the night before! I think he kinda went into shock but continued on for all of our sakes. Since it was really nice out, we drove over to the Arches and started the Delicate Arch hike! Before even starting, my stomach flipped up and down and my palms were sweating. For you see... hiking has always been a torturous event in my life and I was terrified. I put on my best "brave face" and started onwards. Sadly, everyone could see how difficult this adventure was for me and I felt like a major party-pooper. Inside my heart, I was praying SOOO hard. Hoping for anything to help this hike go easier. Thankfully, after the major climb (that had been so hard last time I had come) I was ready for more. We took our time climbing up to the beautiful Arch. The weather was perfect and despite my worries, it turned out perfectly. 
We saw/met people from New Zealand, Italy, Michigan and even home sweet Utah. Everyone seemed so happy to be seeing this huge rock. We took tons of pictures and I even had to delete some non-important photos just so that I could make room for some better ones.
Over all, I would do it again. 
Over all, I realized a lot of things about myself. 
I CAN DO HARD THINGS.
and sometimes, they aren't really that hard. 
I'm so grateful for Kay Kay for instigating this plan and for being such a great friend. 
Gracious. 

1 comment:

Powered By Blogger